View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need panfish fly advice

Jonc, I'll concur with what the others have said, you probably have what you need already on hand. I used to make some jigs & flies for some folks who fished in some Indiana reservoirs for big Bluegills & Crappies. Don't recall what part of the state however. Some of the Crappies those folks caught were over 3 lbs!

The flies were nothing but a black bead head with a chenille body, and rubber legs & tails. They had a soft hackle collar too. I used strung saddle hackle & included some of the fluff at the base. Black body & collar with lime green round rubber legs was a killer pattern.
I changed them up too sometimes with black sparkle chenille that had pearl mixed in.
They were tied in sizes from 10 to 6. The jigs were the same (black painted heads) except I painted fluorescent green eyes on them.

I've also had some great success in the early spring with small streamers here in MD. Bluegills will eat smaller fish when they can, particularly the bigger gills. Biggest Bluegills I ever caught were in Florida, and were 12-13" long. Caught them on a simple white marabou streamer while fishing for bass.

Here's some simple flies I like to tie. These are all on a size 6 hook, about 2 to 2 1/2" long but you could tie them smaller. I primarily tie these for Perch & Crappies, but bigger Bluegills will eat them too!

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!