View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need panfish fly advice

The absolute best Bluegill and Crappie fly I ever tied is simple.

Hook: Small wet fly hook in a 12 or 14.
Thread; Red
Tail: the straight fibers from the end of long marabou. My favorite is white.
Body: Chenile. My favorite is Chartreuse. Make a distinct red band between the body and tail. I tie in thread to match the body and make the head match.

You can add weight to the fly. You can make the body out of foam so it either floats or sinks really slow. I also do a foam body spider and use it like a hopper dropper.

I have also used the small insider tube jig lead heads and paint them with Protec powder paint. You don't want to use a very big one but they work awsome. If I told you what happened the first time I used these you would think it was a fish story. It was good enough that I only tell the story when I have a witness with me. It was Crappies then though.