View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

Hornpout, I've been following this thread & your progression is superb. That Black Ghost will fish! Only suggestion I have, looks like you used a single pair of hackles for the wing. I make it a point to use 3 pairs on any feather winged flies I tie, but that's not always practical on smaller flies.

Try at least 2 pairs, it will give it a more solid appearance, and the wing won't be as flimsy, which will aid in keeping it from fouling around the hook. Hackle with more web would be better, but sometimes you have to use what you have.

The body taper could be a little better too, but that will certainly come with more practice as fast a you're progressing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!