View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

hey jsquires,

I agree with you on the subject of change. For some, it's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when one doesn't understand the mindsets involved. For others, it's nigh onto impossible to accept in almost any form.

I usually approach "change" as part of the growing process-- or growing "older" process --though I'll confess to having my "old-fashioned" favorites, or not truly understanding some of today's latest, greatest crazes.

The art of the tattoo, for example, comes to mind. I don't have one, but I get the premise of a little skin art. That said, what's up with the whole body "tattoo" approach? I ran into a guy yesterday with more "body artwork" than most museums have paintings! When I asked him about a couple of his "tats,"-- he had an amazing brook trout tattooed to his left forearm --he lamented that he'd had most of it done a few years back, and now regretted having done so much. From what I'm told, the removal process is rather painful...

Getting back to the e-readers and their books... The biggest concern that I have is how slowly the publishing world has been to address the "electronic rights" issues with authors. In their haste to cash in on the e-book trade, a number of publishers and sites have offered books for sale via download without negotiating for the electronic rights with the authors, thereby setting the stage for legal challenges not unlike what the music industry went through a few years ago. After the initial advance, most authors, especially in the outdoor fields, are lucky if they get 10 percent of on the overall book sales, paid semi-annually. That's why you see so many writers/photographers out peddling their own books at fly-fishing shows and the like.

If there is one BIG plus to the whole e-reader craze, it's that the e-readers have inspired new generations of readers as a whole, ones who generally check out a book-- classic or new --via their e-readers and then purchase the hard-cover version later on. And, that, my friend, is a good thing.

Do I believe that the publishing/marketing worlds will catch up and do the right thing by their authors? They'll have to, as more and more "copyright infringement" cases are decided in the author's favor. In fact, after a very high-profile case cost one company far more money than they gained by not negotiating for the electronic rights, many of the new book contracts now feature an added "kick" for the inclusion of the rights to sell a printed work as a download. I guess that you could say that it's all part of the process of "changing with the times..."