Thread: First fly rod
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: First fly rod

Though it is the beginning of March, daffodils are pushing up in my neck of the woods (where the woods aren't paved) so Paraleptophlebia can't be too far off. I believe Orvis's Helios(1) are going on deep discount and an 8 1/2'/#5would be a fine US built learner rod. While I believe it is true that a dedicated person can grow into an advanced casters' rod, why subject any one to the inherent frustration of striving to do that and I say this as a quick action rod advocate.

This is baseball "Spring Training" time which is a signal to us winter bound fly fishers to start doing some lawn casting to prepare our technique for a chill April day to come and assist our friends who would like an introduction the long rod to join us and learn a thing or two about casting.