View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Iowa Ralph is on a distinguished road
Default Alpha line rating

I have a Wright & McGill Greenhornet flyrod, as seen in the post in rods. I have been trying to determine what line to use. The labeling on the rod is (2,-H-7'). I am certain that the 2 denotes 2 sections and the 7' is length. I am also certain the H is the line rating for the rod.Here is where it gets kinda confusing. Most of the research I have done, and the input on the the other post has confirmed, normally there would be a 3 letter alpha. See chart Silk Fly Line Weight Equivalents - Rod Building . The chart indicates that an "H" is a level line 2, rated at .025 in. diameter and rated for 80grains. Just doesn't seem real likely given the age of the rod. It would seem more like it is a 7wt. or possibly an 8 wt. but I am just not certain.Also, if it is a 2 wt., ,it would be nice to to know what grain weight manufacturers lines are. I have been unable to find that information as well. I have emailed Wright & McGill, no response. I have called them and got the machine, no return call. Apprantly Eagle Claw now owns Wright & McGill. I am planning to call again today. I have done so many Google searches I have ran out of ideas. I would be gratefull for any assistance. I plan to fish this rod' I just can't imagine it has any great value. I am utilitarian in the sense I like to use the things I own, yes if owned a classic car it would be a driver. Just don't enjoy owning something I can't use.Again thanks for the help!