View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Has Your Favorite Trout Rod Gotten Faster or Slower

My current favorite rod has been the same one for 10 years, a 9' 4wt medium action Sage SLT. I haven't felt the need ... ok that's a lie ... I haven't felt the need and budget for a new rod in a while.

My first rod was cheap Eagle Claw POS. A year later I bought an Ovris Superfine and I found the slower "full flex" action very accommodating. Then I made a Sage SPL 2wt, another medium action beauty. Then I needed a 6wt and built a Sage VPS, a fast "cannon" that I've never appreciated as much as others. Finally, I decided I needed a real dry fly rod for the rivers I was really learning to fish in Montana, the 7'11" Superfine was not cutting it on the bigger waters, and I built the SLT. It's been my go to rod since then. I still love it and honestly cannot imagine replacing it.

It is due to sentimentality as well as my practical nature. I made that rod, I learned how to fish dries to big sipping rainbows with it and I don't really want to ever "sock it away" for the newest sexy thing out there. I've actually decided to re-build it at the end of this coming season.

All that said, I am just finally getting started on a 9'6" 5wt Sage XP, their standard for fast action "performance" rods until it was trumped by the Z. So time will tell.