View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

I'm going to have to say no again. I got the almost identical box, in fact I bought about half a dozen of them. They are water proof with the same white gasket. Same latch. Same foam inserts with the same pattern. Got them from a tackle shop up here. They were selling them for keeping ice fishing jigs organized. I even bought one for Bill because he goes deeper than pocket depth pretty often as well. I figured for the $3.99 I paid for them it was a good idea.

I could have loaded one with little nymphs, open on a vest like that and called a C&F and I'll bet nobody would have thought it wasn't.

The difference in price I am willing to bet, is because you will never get an Ice fisherman to drop giant amounts of cash on a box, and there are fly fishermen who will. That's why they don't sell Abel clippers to ice fishermen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
knock-offs that claim to be water proof. Well dropped one and watched it go straight to the bottom then quickly downstream into some rapids.
Water proof and floats are two different things. It is weight vs. displacement. Bet you $5 if you drop the C&F box it goes straight down and through the rapids to meet up with your other box, both full of dry flies.

You do realize that it could not have leaked fast enough to go straight to the bottom? Even a submarine can't go straight to the bottom and they are designed to sink. If it had a weight vs. displacement that allowed it to float, and it leaked, it would have floated way down stream eventually going to the bottom. Waterproof and floats are two different things. I have a box that floats and isn't waterproof. You can have a water proof box that goes straight to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Back to the CF boxes. Again, I'm not knocking them completely. I DO find them a little heavy and bulky.
Like I said, waterproof and floats, two different things.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.