View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stocked Wild Or Somewhere in Between?

I've learned not to over-think it as the years go by. Perhaps as you get older you're just happy to get out fishing when you can that the "wild vs stocked" argument becomes as important as the Animal House vs Caddyshack argument.

Back in PA where most of the native brook trout have been replaced by wild (albeit - introduced) brown trout, and then those populations are being stocked over due to public demand for easy limits... it's enough to fry your brain. I was probably 50/50 most of the time leaning towards 75/25 as the season went on and the stockees thinned out.

It's a real mixed bag here in Utah. Lots of wild brown trout to go around, but my favorite fish to catch are the spring rainbows which were stocked in reservoirs (at some point) and make false spawning runs up the rivers. Not sure how to classify them.

A little side trivia here for those that own Caucci/Nastasi's book Hatches II... many of the pictures showing those dark forested, beautiful mountain streams that look like they're miles back in the Catskills? They're actually from the same, super popular trout fishery (close to urban sprawl) on Boyscout property in the Pocono's that is nearly 100% reliant on freshly stocked trout each spring (due to thermal pollution over the summer months). Great place to fly fish... but all stocked.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Last edited by stenacron; 03-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.