View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nymphing line, what to use.

Good posts guys. I'm in agreement with mikel that a nymph specific line while great for nymphing, is less than ideal if you want to go back to dries. kwb is right on too that you can remedy this by going with a longer leader.

I have Rio Indicator or Nymph line on my 7100 and go between indy nymphing and high sticking for GL Steelhead. It's ideal for my use and when I need to lighten up the presentation, I use a longer leader just as kwb mentioned. This has its set of challenges depending on how long your leader is but does help to remedy the situation.

I nymph for trout often and do just fine with any of the non nymph specific lines, though some lines are better suited for lighter, more delicate presentations like dry flies. The biggest thing is to get a line that goes well with your rod. After 30 years, I'm sure you had that figured out long ago.

What rod will you be using to nymph with?

If you really want a nymph specific line, and are leaning in that direction after you've read the forthcoming responses...I've got a Rio Indicator line WF4, new in box that I'd part with for $45 shipped. No pressure, just thought I'd throw it out there and save you a few $$.

Last edited by jaybo41; 03-04-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added fly line weight to Rio Indicator line.