Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leader Lengths

I am being as newbie as anyone can be, really hate to use the factory made tapered leaders because they coiled and $$$. I know that we can use that leather thingy to straighten the leader but that isn't for me.

And being the best newbie that I can be, I make the best newbie mistakes, and newbie mistakes is basically expensive. Therefore, I twisted my own leaders from 6-10lbs Mono Spiderwire 220yds ($4.99) for dry/top water and 8-10 Flurocarbon Sunline sinking leader to make lead 7.5-8 FT. I don't really follow the 60-20-20 formula. I go 2/3 butt and 1/3 body and use my Bimini twist tippet for the final tapering.
I found out that 7.5-8FT leaders suit my very well and turn any right size flies that I use in straight line. I have a BPS leader wallet filled with my own furled leaders and only bring 2 SA and 1 Orvis leader which I bought on the day I was born into this fly fishing world (which about 3 months ago).
I would dedicate a night to twist my leaders and to burn my fingers in doing so, but it would be very satisfying.

Now, the web is my teacher and I do hope someone would yell at me for my ignorance.

by the way, to me 8FT is my leader length.

Just my 2 cents.