Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leader Lengths

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I have used the "leather thingy" and sometimes find it useful. I always used factory tapered leaders and just replace or extend the tippet when necessary. I can't be bothered buying 8 to 10 spools of leader materials for a hand tied leader to save a few bucks. IMHO, tying your own leaders is like tying your own flies. It's something you will eventually want to try if you get deep into this sport. Hey maybe I'll try building my own rod at some point. That must be gratifying to catch a fish on your own rod.
Fortunately, I have plenty of half use spools from my conventional fishing line that would serve me for a long time.
I might be interested to tie my own flies, but not until I get better in using them first. Building a rod? Nah? what for if we have the like of Orvis, Sage or Redington.

by the way, do I need to wet the "leather thingy" before I use it?