View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod weights and Common Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I have a number of Sage rods and see from the "Sexy Loops Database" that Sage tends to be off the mark when designating weights on their rods and not alone in doing so. I take it that alot of rods could take at least 1/2 to 1 weight heavier than that shown on the rod. Some (few) hit the mark and some underweight the actual weight. Am I right or wrong?
Nope, you are right. I didn't see your post or I would have said something sooner. The more a company wants you to think you can cast far with a rod, the more likely they are to underrate a rod.

Like the Sage rods you mentioned. Their distance 5 wt. is really about a 7 1/2 or so if I remember right. The reason is that you get a lot more line carried in the air and the rod loads right with a 5 wt. line. They tend to do this on a lot of rods and I don't see it as a very good idea.

I read a post here the other day that said basically, almost all fish are caught at less than 30 feet. I disagree with that. In my case it is completely wrong. But there were other comments in agreement. So let me ask you this. If it was true, and a line is rated based on the first 30', between the rod and leader, you would have what? 20' of head out tops? Now if it is actually a 7 1/2 wt. rod they are calling a 5 wt, and you have a 5 wt. line on and are only casting 30 or 40 feet with, how much are you going to like that rod and or line?

This is where a system like this can come in handy. If you are having trouble, look at what your rod really is and see if the way they labled it is part or all of the problem.

I'll tell you something else. If the touchy feely PC liberal 'don't make anyone feel bad' crowd had not wrecked distance casting, it would have made more sense to allow you to use any 9' rod you want and all cast a 5 wt. line. The way it was, there wasn't any real 5 wt. rods in the first place. I don't see how a factory slapping a 5 wt. label on a fast 8 wt. and them going "OK it's a 5, go ahead and use it", makes anymore sense than allowing an honestly labled 8 wt rod to be used. But i digress.

The problem is that the industry standard is not a standard at all.