View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: rocky mountain hairwing

hello roo...it is a braided loop made from dacron...it is whipp finished on the shank...it is a traditional way done long ago by anglers from 1700-1900...in those times in Ireland and Scotland there was some concerns about the strength of the steel hooks...and they fashioned their loops from "gut"... double hooks were exactly that I understand...and the lashing held them together too...

I just like to do it old school sometimes on the salmon and steelhead ties...

its plenty strong...and has some flexibility qualities that are pretty interseting as well...the loop goes back on the hook almost to the curve, double on both sides...its just lashed or whipped with tying floss and tied off...

you can see it pretty good in this picture...

Click the image to open in full size.

I am by no means an expert in the style of tying classics...just a student...but the history of angling is really pretty cool...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/