View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst Fishing Car Ever

Since WT mentioned mileage I thought I would toss one more car in.

Back in around 2003 or 4 I bought a fairly new Oldsmobile Achieva. I got it as a salvage vehicle for almost nothing because it had been totaled by a hail storm from a near miss by a tornado. The hail had been between golf ball and a tad smaller than a hardball.

It put big stinking divots all over the car. Other than looking like a maniac went at it with a ball peen hammer it was a sweet car. I got amazing mileage with it. Like never under 30 mpg and on the highway I got 35 or so.

I talked to other people who had owned the same car and when I told them what kind of mileage I got, they looked at me like I was telling a fat fib. They said they didn't get mileage like that.

I started telling them that it must be the dimples all over the car. You know, the golf ball effect. They have a dimple pattern they don't allow in the PGA because they travel to far. Then I always added "In the future, all cars will have dimples!" with a sweeping Wheel of Fortune-ish prize arm gesture along the car.

About a year or two ago I was watching Myth Busters. They tested the theory that dimples in a car improve the mileage. It wasn't even close. It improved the mileage by something like 9 mpg. It was something like a 25 or 30% improvement. My joke was in fact a reallity. If gas keeps going up like this, I'm getting the hammer.