View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM

pjcalla has a spectacular aura aboutpjcalla has a spectacular aura about
Default Islamorada in April

Hi all,
I am going to Islamorada mid-April for a little R&R. We are staying on the ocean side in a private house right on the ocean, and plan to do some fishing. I know I'll probably get skunked (as I've never fly fished the salt). We plan on getting a guide for at least a day (any recs?), but want to go at it alone too.

I've done some reading, and have some spots picked out, but I have some questions. Are the beaches considered private along the ocean side? For instance, if I walk out of the house to the beach, can I walk the beach without being on private property? On the satellite images, there are docks, which seems like it would be private property.

I will need to acquire another set up (since my 5wt. won't fit the bill), so I am thinking an 8wt. I'm not looking to break the bank, as this will only get used in the salt and possibly a few other times. Any recommendations? On the other hand, are there any places that will rent fly rods? I would rather get a new set up, but the wife thinks otherwise.

Any other things I should know? Places to eat? Things to watch out for? Things to see? Any tips to make fishing more productive?

Thanks.