Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader Lengths

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

Interesting no one equates rod length with leader length at all?

-Mike
I hesitated to post with all the differing opinions. My rule of thumb is to start with a leader about the length of the fly rod. MY basic leader is a 9 ft 5x and then I modify it if needed.

A long leader to rod length ratio can force you to bring the leader/fly line junction into the guides, and this runs the risk of a break off when you bring the fish to hand when using light tippets. I have used 15 to 16 foot leaders when fishing Hebgen Lake for gulpers with a 9 foot rod since those fish can be very spooky and leader shy.

When landing one of those fish, you need to bring the leader/fly line knot into the guides to land the fish. To keep the knot from catching on the guides, I flip the rod over so that my fly reel is facing toward the sky and then the knot runs along the fly rod spine and not along the guides.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy