View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM

hike2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: South Boulder Creek Flow Bump

I've been meaning to put up a TR since we spent a day on SBC in Febuary but it keeps slipping my mind so here's at it.

Two of us fished from below the dam for about 5 hours - had some crazy snow storms roll in and out throughout the day and thought that would keep a lot of people away but we showed up at 9AM to find 3 cars already in the lot. No worries - plenty of water to fish and I always like seeing a few other die hard guys out on bad weather days in the winter. You know it won't be your sunny day crowd at Deckers (ready to combat fish) but true searchers looking for solitude and a bend in the rod to break the still of winter. There's a shared connection with the rest of the fools out there in the snow - a mutual understanding to tread lightly, give space and not break the peace we find in winter fishing.

Water was higher than I had seen it since last summer so there was a lot more holding water and the fish were loving it. We found a number of them stacked up mid-winter style in the deeper pools but the fun part was finding the ones that had already taken advantage of the higher flows and moved into new feeding lanes.

We hiked down to the first foot bridge and fished out way up. After fishing the hole below the bridge we came up to the trail to work upstream. Our tracks had already been covered up by the new snow and we found some BIG mountain lion tracks walking right up the trail close to where we had been fishing. BE CAREFUL in that canyon. I always tell friends not to bring dogs in there because you are just asking for trouble.

Hooked up on a variety of midges, eggs, worms - all the standard winter stuff. Even took one on a small sparkle streamer in the slack water.

All in all a great day even with a few snow showers and although a few cars were in the lot we only saw 2 others fishing the whole day. Pulled out a good mix of browns and bows. The picks of me was probably the biggest fish of the day. It's no hog but the SBC rainbows are truly beautiful fish.

Click the image to open in full size.