Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader Lengths

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Interesting no one equates rod length with leader length at all?

-Mike
I pretty much make all my leaders the length of my rod. The only time I don't go the length of my rod is when I want to get deeper without a sink tip. Then I go longer. Even the furled leaders Joni made me are designed to be the length of the rods they are for, with the tippet added.

For me 99.9% of the time, 9 ft. rod, 9 ft. leader. 15' rod, 15' leader. I don't use shorter leaders for fish that are not line shy because they are not the only fish around. I don't mind an accidental catch. I don't use level leaders for stripping or swinging because the fish that takes your fly can be right where your fly lands. If you have to pick up 10 feet of slack to set a hook on it, that fly better still taste good from the last fish that took it or you will be setting the hook on empty water.

I've heard all the arguements "Oh you don't need to do this or you don't need to do that" but it's a friggin leader that takes all of two minutes to make. I just make them all so they turn over and at least as long as the rod. Every time for every fish everywhere I use them.

No slack to pick up. No missed line shy accidental fish, no regrets. Accidental fish can be your most memorable fish of the year. Remember that thread and mine? Accidental, on a hand tied 9' tapered leader fishing for Smallies. Note the popper in it's mouth.
Click the image to open in full size.

Not to pick on the "oh for blah blah fish you only need a 3' level leader" guys, but am I the only guy who gets really nice accidental fish? If I am, maybe there's the answer.

Oh, and I never Provo bounce three ounces of lead and pretend I'm fly fishing.