View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

I got a Renzetti Traveler last year, and I really like it. I bought it after doing a bunch of reading (here and through google searches) and talking to some friends who tie with them and with other vises. I didn't do a bunch of comparison ties and don't know how helpful they would have been for me anyways. Any vise I have used has taken a bit of getting use to so unless you can borrow vises from friends to try for awhile it might be tough to really get a good feel for different brands. I used a Traveler at a friends for a weekend. Tied some dries down to 18's, some nice drake dries in 10s and 12s, and also spun some deer hair for bass on size 2 and 4 hooks. I found the jaws gripped different sized hooks very, very easily and they were secure even when spinning the hair. I found one for a bit off the normal price and it had a pedestal base so I bought it. If he'd owned a Peak or Anvil Atlas might I have bought one of those instead? Probably if I'd used it and liked it. One thing to look for is the hook range for the jaws that come on the vise and the Peak, Traveler, and Anvil Atlas all hold a wide range of hook sizes.

I'm sure they all have different features but a lot of what you're looking for comes down to holding the range of hooks you use securely and easily, providing a stable tying platform, and one that is built to last. The rotary function is nice but is secondary to those three, for me at least.