View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default clear creek slayer

I am not sure the best spot to post this sort of stuff... it looks like folks do it here too...t

A few years ago on the fourth of July weekend I was up near Mt. Evans ( a fourteen'er in Colorado),fly fishing with a friend at about 10 or 11,000 feet… we lived at around 8,000 then…and the weather was a pretty nice Colorado summer day…when we finished hiking to the stream we were wanting to fish , the weather took a turn for the worse…spitting snow, and pretty cold…I was on the streamside near a beaver dam that formed a pond. I was trying to adjust my choice of pattern I was fishing, and thinking the grill at home looked pretty good when a huge Adult Caddis landed about 3 feet from me…I got a chance to study it for a while before it took off…I started fishing some dark caddis bugs in about a size 12, the biggest thing I had…and it was like a switch turned on…match the hatch…Qed…

Click the image to open in full size.

The pattern tied above is as close as I can come to try and imitate what I saw…its on a size 10-12 nymph hook for extra length, I used some gadwall back feathers for the sides/body, and some Mule deer fur for the hair wing…two moose mane quills for the antennae…and a short rooster hackle for some legs…the body is dubbed with some buffalo wool in dark brown…more visible from underneath. This bug has been a real “go to” in still water situations…or when the trout are really picky…its similar to some of the other sedges I tie up…but just for the darker variety…one friend thought I should name it the “Clear Creek Slayer”…

Click the image to open in full size.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à fìreach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/