Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman
Wow! So many choices! This isn't getting any easier lol! $100-$150 is about what I was thinking, but this makes it tough. Sounds like just personal preference? Is there any particular feason for your choice?
Really, there are a lot of vises that will do a good job. My own criteria for choosing one would be:
1. Will it hold a variety of sizes of hooks securely, so they don't move in the jaws when you are pulling tightly on your thread (for example, when spinning deer hair)?
2. Is the rotary feature configured so that the hook shank can be aligned precisely in the axis of rotation?
3. Does it have a bobbin cradle, and can the bobbin cradle be positioned precisely in the axis of rotation in line with the hook shank?
4. Does it look like it will last a good long while?
5. Is the base clamp designed to be able to attach to a wide range of table-top thicknesses?