View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: When Did Life's "C Words" Go Out Of Style?

When did Craftsmanship, Courtesy, and Common Sense go out of style?

I had to look this stuff up.

Craftsmanship. About the time "They" (big corporations) started using the phrase "engineered obsolesence." Or about the time we (U.S.) decided to import boatloads of rubber dogs**t from China even though half of them were substandard, lead-painted pieces of rubber dog . . . you know. And why? because our government decided that quantity was better than quality.

Common Sense. I knew this one without looking it up. Right around the time "They" (legal system) decided you could successfully sue a company because you spilled hot coffee you willfully bought from said company, on your parts. Nevermind that anyone with an I.Q. high enough to drive a car should know not to put hot coffee between their legs while driving.

News flash: coffee is made with boiling water. Boiling water on most of the planet Earth is around 212 degrees F. Pour that on any part of your body and it will definitely leave a mark and most likely ruin your commute. Unless you're into that sort of thing. Now we have to have cups that actually have to tell us that coffee is hot. And don't forget, they are charging you to put that warning on the side of your cup, because you can't be trusted to know better.

Decided not to touch Courtesy for now. But I do remember not only my parents teaching me common courtesy but also being taught the basics in school from a very young age. Things like when speaking to any teacher, being required to use either "sir," or "ma'am," at all times. Failure to do so could have resulted in "educational" corporal punishment. And my parents would've cheered them on. And did once or twice. But I learned rapidly after that. Somewhere between my high school graduation 26 years ago and today a whole generation of kids weren't taught the phrase, "Spare the rod, spoil the child."

Anyway, that's as close as I can peg it.

Peace.

P.S. Please post pic of boat. Would love to see it.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark