Thread: Wolly Buggers?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

Although it is not a bugger, this is what I use when a bugger is called for. It's a soft hackle wooly worm and I catch more fish on it than any other fly by a huge margin. My favorite strategy is stripping it under the surface on high lakes, but it's also fantastic on moving water. When nothing else seems to be clicking I always turn to this wooly worm. And when the weather quickly sours (so often in the Rockies), this fly shines on choppy lakes as well as roiled water in streams. Like a bugger, it doesn't simulate anything in particular, and the author of the fly says it's an example of a fly that just looks BUGGY. After I started aggressively using this fly in the backcountry on both lakes and streams, my catch numbers tripled. I also buy a version with an orange tail that is a true trout slayer on headwater streams.

Click the image to open in full size.