Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader Lengths

3X Tippet= 8.5lb test; 2X Tippet=10.7lb test. I use Umpqua brand material for the entire leader, but all the brands have roughly the same pound test.

There have been times that I've used 2X leaders, mostly because HUGE carp are very active in my local smallmouth stream, and have snapped off my Clouser or Wooly Bugger with ease. The problem is snags. The bottom of my favorite stream is filled with large rocks, and I often bounce my flies of the bottom. A 3X tippet requires a pretty good pull to break, and a 2X might break the tip of my 4 or 5 weight line. With a knotted leader, I cut off the 3X tippet section, and tie a 2X tippet to the other short 2X leader section. When I go back to 3X (which is usually quick), I snip off the 2X tippet, and tie onto the 2X leader section. Most leader formulas call for the last few sections to be 6" in length. I make my last two section 8" long, and that's enough to allow cutting and tying in new tippet without losing too much material.