View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carp flies and tactics

I'm not an avid carp chaser, but have fished quite a bit for them in the past. My experience has been much like what fichy posted. I have no clue about the pheromones, but they do seem to have better memories than other fish. There is a place I used to fish for them, backwater areas left flooded near a river. There would be pods of carp in these flooded places & if I spooked them with my approach, they would usually avoid the general area where I was. Several times, I wore camo & crawled to the water, even sitting motionless for long periods watching them before I even attempted fishing. They would move away & if they returned, would make a wide detour around my area, even after 30 minutes or longer. I've had bass move back into places after I had spooked them & would still strike at flies or lures, but not these carp. A few times I was able to get a hook-up, but it appeared not with any that I had previously spooked, but with those that wandered near me from other areas. I'm not saying a spooked carp cannot be caught, just that in these backwaters, which were quite shallow, they seemed to be very cautious, and seemed to remember being spooked. Also speculation on my part. Those times that I have had some success with them, was also with those actively feeding. I don't ever recall having any success with cruising carp, although I have read that others have.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!