View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello from South Western Ontario...

Welcome to the group! the only way your questions will drive us crazy is if you never use the search function to see if the answers are already on here. If they're not, ask away!

On a beginner rod, I think you'd be very well served by one of www.thefullcreel.com 's ECHO classic rods. They're 4 piece rods with great actions and a great warranty for about $150. They cast pretty easily but also will not be a rod you grow out of.

Choosing between a 6 and 7 weight rod actually depends on what trout fishing you eventually want to do. By this I mean that if you plan on fishing big water for trout eventually, get the 7wt first, because you will next want a 5 wt for trout fishing. If you expect to like smaller trout waters, then you'll likely want a 4wt for that, and so a 6wt would be a fine choice now. The idea is that skipping line weights when building your "quiver" of rods will offer more versatility than not planning ahead. (this comes from a guy who has a 3, 2 4's, a 5, and then a 9wt and has been cussing himself for not getting a 6 or 7. that will be fixed soon however) Also a 7wt will work much better for the bigger bass and pike flies, and will also make a great big-trout-sinking-line-streamer-rod down the road as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.