Thread: Galvan Brookie
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Galvan Brookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Looks like I have one of these in the 3/4 size in the mail and set to arrive Friday. I will take a look and decide if I want to return it or not. I was all set and excited about it, but then I talked to a shop and the guy said they are nice, but not really mean for a lot of adjustment. He said they were adjusting one in the shop and a plastic part broke off as they were increasing the drag.

I don't really understand from the pictures how the adjustment works, and did not realize there were plastic parts in it. Is the clicker not the ball bearing that is inside in the spool? Thanks
So a couple things to say about this:
1) I have played with these in the shop I work at and from what I can tell I didn't see a single plastic component.
2) the shop you spoke to is right about one thing! You are not buying the Brookie for the drag. While you can adjust the drag, the tension out of the box is what a majority I have sold it to keep it at.
3) tell the shop you spoke to, to stop tightening it that much. If you want a solid drag buy a Rush or a Torque. The Brookie is meant for the modern light weight rods that need a light weight reel to balance.
4) to tighten the drag you pop off the spool and using an Allen wrench you tighten the spindle. This increases the tension on the outgoing and incoming. Thus you really shouldn't be tightening that much!

I have now sold close to a dozen of these reels and they are getting nothing but rave reviews. Use the reel for its intended purpose and it will work perfect.