View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rod weights and Common Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
A question for those who use the CCS... does it work? Doing static tests using mass and deflection certainly gives results but how do those results transfer over to real-life, dynamic use of the tested rod(s)?

To keep things CCSish, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being 100% accurate 100% of the time, how would you rate the CCS system for accuracy when compared to actual use of the rod?
It works pretty well. As long as you keep your testing consistent, it's very repeatable. Whenever I get a rod that is over about 1.5 line weights away from its marked weight, I repeat the test, usually a couple more times.

As far as a comparison to the 'real world' use of the rod, it's still pretty good.

For example, I have a rod that's marked as a 3wt. With WF3F line, it's awful. I then CCS tested it. Its ERN is 4.865. I tried a WF5F line. Much, much better.

I'd say it's not 10 out of 10 - more like 8.5-9 out of 10. It can lead you in the right direction when a rod just doesn't feel right.