Thread: Leader Lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Leader Lengths

Quote:
3x Orvis Super Strong is 8.5 lb., Mirage fluoro is 9.2. Most of the other tippet mfgs.s fall in this range. Are you just trolling here? It's a shame to have people new to the sport misinformed. I certainly will not respond to your replies again, though.
No I'm not, are you?

3x (regardless of stated breaking strength) is typically 0.08" dia..which is relatively thin for bass. Most people tend to agree that warm water species are not leader shy, so it's an honest question. Tensile strength is not the same as abrasion resistance -- your 3x might be strong in breaking strength, but I highly doubt it is more abrasion resistant than even the cheapest 8 pound mono (0.11" dia). Braid suffers from this same problem, but that's a different story.

If you would argue that using 8-12 pound mono tippet for bass is "bad advice", then I'm sorry to say this, but you don't know what you're talking about. Both lefty Kreh and Tom Rosenbauer and dozens of other publications recommend that you do just that. In cases with a lot of aquatic vegetation and rocky structure, your advice (assuming this is your advice anyway) to use 3x tippet is "bad advice". I think Lefty advocates a level leader of 20 pound mono for bass in lily pads specifically.

Bass fishing isn't trout fishing dude.

To Frank: That actually makes a lot of sense. I was just curious, that's all. I used to fish smallies on a heddon torpedo (and other topwaters) using UL spin tackle with 4 pound test, mostly for smaller bass.