View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Favorite Leaders for Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I still tie my own 9' leaders from Maxima Chameleon for my single handers, and am going to fool around with making them for my 2 handers as well. I currently use either Rio's steelhead and salmon leader (12 and 15 footers; 6 or 8 pound tippet) or airflo's poly leaders with 8 pound tippet attached for the two handers.

For my single hand leaders, the tippet is either 6 or 8 pound test maxima, depending on water conditions and fly sizes. I have landed 20 pounders on the 6 pound tippet.

This is all for the Miramichi system.
Gary

edit: for those gin clear Gaspe waters, seems like one of maximas clear leader materials would be a better bet. Dunno, never fished anywhere but the Miramichi system for atlantics.
I'm going back up to the Karboskis' camp on the Whale, Gary. Not quite gin, but maybe light rum.

The thing I like about Maxima for salmon is its stiffness and stout diameter for a given breaking strength.