Thread: Fly Line Color
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Line Color

IMO, we all too often give the fish, regardless of species, too much credit. I read through those other linked posts & there's quite a bit of discussion there. Some interesting ideas too.

I agree with using what color you have the most confidence in using. Confidence is important. I once read something Lefty Kreh wrote concerning line color & basically he said that such things as line slapping the water was a greater concern than the line color. I tend to agree.

Anytime our success is limited, there are many things that could be the reason. IMO, line color is the least of a concern, but may provide doubts. Personally, I don't worry about line colors. I have different lines in various colors, tan, sand, light & dark greens, brown, yellow & bright orange & as long as I can see the line, that's my only concern.

These types of questions come up with bass & other anglers using spinning or baitcasting equipment. Many have concerns about whether or not the fish can see the lines & may react negatively to it. I use hi vis yellow braided lines for fishing with jigs, tying direct to the lure & catch plenty of fish. Does it limit the number of fish that might bite, I don't know, but I'm not complaining. I've known others to say water clarity versus line color makes a difference, but that has yet been proven to me. Again, there are far too many other variables that may limit our success, any of which may be a real concern, to say that line color is a definitive problem.

IMO, it all goes back to using what you feel the most confident in & comfortable using.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!