Thread: Fly Line Color
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Line Color

IMO, we all too often give the fish, regardless of species, too much credit. I read through those other linked posts & there's quite a bit of discussion there. Some interesting ideas too.

I agree with using what color you have the most confidence in using. Confidence is important. I once read something Lefty Kreh wrote concerning line color & basically he said that such things as line slapping the water was a greater concern than the line color. I tend to agree.

Anytime our success is limited, there are many things that could be the reason. IMO, line color is the least of a concern, but may provide doubts. Personally, I don't worry about line colors. I have different lines in various colors, tan, sand, light & dark greens, brown, yellow & bright orange & as long as I can see the line, that's my only concern.

These types of questions come up with bass & other anglers using spinning or baitcasting equipment. Many have concerns about whether or not the fish can see the lines & may react negatively to it. I use hi vis yellow braided lines for fishing with jigs, tying direct to the lure & catch plenty of fish. Does it limit the number of fish that might bite, I don't know, but I'm not complaining. I've known others to say water clarity versus line color makes a difference, but that has yet been proven to me. Again, there are far too many other variables that may limit our success, any of which may be a real concern, to say that line color is a definitive problem.

IMO, it all goes back to using what you feel the most confident in & comfortable using.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!