View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Bitterroot River, first fish of the year...

...and hallelujah and amen to that! Wow, it's been a long dark winter. At least the last 6 weeks have been.

Spring fishing in W Montana is gearing up. Stoneflies are moving and midges swarming. I got out for a couple hours on Saturday afternoon, it felt good but it was really just to get out. Today I took the day off, happy birthday to me! I'd been planning on fishing all day for my birthday and the weather cooperated, it was overcast and didn't storm on me, got up to mid 40s so it could have been a lot worse.

I caught my first trout of the season, a nice rainbow. Then a couple more nymphing. Then moved downstream to get closer to my car as a bank of dark clouds was rolling in with thunderstorms in the forecast. I didn't want to get stuck out there in a storm, it's really open as you will see.

Well it never stormed and I walked into a some pods of fish rolling on midges! I tied on a #20 Syl's midge I tied this winter after reading his book and began to barely swing it through the broad riffle. It worked! That was very nice, but hard to set that little hook. I broke two off, missed a handful of sets and landed three brownies.

It was a splendid birthday.

The Bitterroot, near Victor, Montana.
Click the image to open in full size.

happy birthday!