View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

It is our economic responsibility to research quality to value ratios and prioritize our expenditures. A growing concern I have though in the small industry/fraternity of fly fishing is a decline in recognition of the need to reward small business innovation. I clicked on the link to our UK sister site provided above by MrTrout. It depicted dozens of Chinese-made reels for sale at quite low prices and alleged to perform well which blatantly imitated in appearance well known and respected models from small companies here we know and admire. Voting with our $'s for imitations of innovations rather than saving up for the real thing can only reduce the incentive for a creative person to invest in bringing his dream product to fruition. Fake drugs, fake vaccines, fake rods, reels and fly boxes...someone is making money on these ventures who had nothing to do with the real thing and, in exhibiting that lack of ethical responsibility, may well compound it further through lack of concern for the consumer. Often quality and innovation aren't visible. A new Sage (or Scott, Loomis, Orvis H2, each its own) rod features multi-modulus carbon fibers exquisitely and difficultly aligned and compressed with special US created (by Boeing) technology to produce a lighter, slenderer and stronger fly rod. A good caster certainly can feel the harmony of design and technology in one of these fine and expensive rods but superficially; a rod made in China of off the shelf carbon pre-preg on a simple, reverse engineered mandrel made in a similar color with a knock off reel seat looks pretty much the same. To a skilled caster the differences between the two rods are quite, even starkly apparent but to too many it's like; "Look at the dynamite deal I got on "sale" from X-Brand big discount store! I think it's even a better action than that too expensive Sage."

I have to husband my resources to afford fishing trips both local and via plane travel that I have planed for this soon-to-arrive season. Whether I step out of my dented old wagon or off an airplane, the tackle I will fish with will be real. I will know and acknowledge the company and likely even the designer responsible for each of my carefully selected pieces of equipment, some brand new, some having withstood the test of time.