Thread: gluing quills
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: gluing quills

One of the big problems is when you cast a fly with any type of "fixatiff" sprayed/brushed on the wing, it ends up twisting your tippet because air can't pass through the fibers- it's too solid.

If you're using this on a wet fly, it's a bit less of a problem because the wing/wingcase it tighter to the body of the fly, so it doesn't catch as much air on the cast.

I treat the reverse side of turkey and duck quills used for wingcases on nymphs and for wet flies like the Leadwing Coachman and McGinty by spraying them with good 'ol cheap Aqua Net hairspray =)

Use a clothespin to attach a few quills to a wire hanger, hang them up outside, give them a couple of sprays on the reverse side and let them air dry. Only problem I've had is explaining to my daughters why I had a can of hair spray on the shelf near my tying desk