View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I understand every penny counts now adays, but for me, a fly box is not the place to save money.

Everytime I go to a shop to get info on an area, etc., I always buy some flies. Usually ends up being at least $10. Flies I don't purchase that I tie take a lot of time and money. If you look at a full C&F box, the cost of the flies inside are what? $500 to $1,000? Or maybe even more. Is it really going to kill you to buy a $40 box that you know is 100% waterproof and reliable?
Waterproof is nice and all but the importance varies depending on what is in the waterproof container. A $500 digital SLR? Yes, very important. A box of flies that I tied to get wet to start with? No as much.

Personally, I think all this waterproof stuff is silly. They are fishing flies! They get wet and then...they dry off! As long as you can recover the box after you dropped it in the drink, waterproof is of little concern to me. Sure it may ruin part of your day of fishing, but it isn't the end of the world.

So, one question and then I'm done: would you rather have one of those cheap Morel foam boxes that weight absolutely nothing but only have a a couple magnets to keep it closed but also it floats like a cork - OR - a vacuum-sealed box that sinks like a rock so your flies will stay dry lodged under that snarl of deadfall at the bottom of the river?

I fish in moving water and if I drop a box it is going to leave me rapidly. If it floats I have a chance to recover it, and if the flies are wet I would still be happy to have found it.