View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

Just personal perspective here, but I'll take a pass with down eye hooks, especially the small ones. All that eye does is fill in the gape between between shaft/hook point.

The other question (for me anyway) is what does the pull of the leader do to a up eye, down eye or 'Siwash' ring eye. With the straight eye the leader pull is straight on line with the hook point. For me, this brings a lot to the Party.

For jollies take three hooks (up/down/straight) and attach a couple of foot of leader. Put hook around a round bit of something (pencil, chop stick, what-ever) and do a straight pull. Where does that hook point go under tension?

Will hook design increase/decrease the odds of a solid grab? I'm sure it does, what's the best? I have no clue. Well one. The Salar Doubles are extraordinary.

If you can find the damned things!

fae