Thread: gluing quills
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: gluing quills

Before using rubber cement, I tried many different glues and sprays. The reason for this is that I make a lot of flies like muddlers, hoppers and caddis flies and also to repair split jungle cock. My first attempts were just with fly tying cement (lacquer). The stuff was just too brittle and the quills did quickly split anyway. I tried spray type glues for paper....just not strong enough.

BTW, hairspray gets quickly dissolved in water.

Contact cement is pretty good and is great for repairing jungle cock but takes longer to dry than rubber cement.

Anyway, rubber cement for repairing inner tubes has been the best stuff I have used so far. The quills and feathers remain flexible and if someone does handle the quills, they do not at first realize that the quills have been treated.

This coming summer, I will post photos of some flies tied with quills after they have caught 3 or 4 dozen trout.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Before using rubber cement, I tried many different glues and sprays. The reason for this is that I make a lot of flies like muddlers, hoppers and caddis flies and also to repair split jungle cock. My first attempts were just with fly tying cement (lacquer). The stuff was just too brittle and the quills did quickly split anyway. I tried spray type glues for paper....just not strong enough.

BTW, hairspray gets quickly dissolved in water.

Contact cement is pretty good and is great for repairing jungle cock but takes longer to dry than rubber cement.

Anyway, rubber cement for repairing inner tubes has been the best stuff I have used so far. The quills and feathers remain flexible and if someone does handle the quills, they do not at first realize that the quills have been treated.

This coming summer, I will post photos of some flies tied with quills after they have caught 3 or 4 dozen trout.

I've never noticed any problems with my flies twisting my leaders.