View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default I Met Myself Last Night...

As the title of this posting states, "I met myself last night," a rarified glimpse into how I've lived my life and been perceived by others over the span of 50 years. Let me explain before you start wondering if I've been into the "sauce" this morning...

Late yesterday, the grandson of an elderly friend dropped off the last box of stuff that had been left for me. The late Montgomery Jackson passed on earlier this winter, leaving behind a legacy of friendship and the best kind of personal oversight imaginable. The aforementioned Mr. Jackson had known me since I was a boy.

In the box delivered to our front door were 25 journals, each the compilation of his thoughts regarding our friendship and the times we spent together on the water, 2 years worth per journal. I'm only into Journal #2, and it's amazing how quickly everything has come back to me-- in essence, the reliving of the years.

Self-examination is never an easy thing, but it's doubly hard when it's being done in an honest, objective fashion by someone else very close to you. Despite the occasional chastizing-- so far --for the frenzied pace of youth, one thing is become very clear. The late Montgomery Jackson thought me more of a son than merely a friend. And, that single bit of enlightenment has ramped up my urge to read through the journals, and then re-read them again.

I will miss Montgomery's wisdom and ready counsel when the first hatches of Spring descend on the AuSable River, more than you know... Jerry, aka hairwing530