View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod

I commented in the saltwater forum earlier and now, connecting the dots, I'll add a bit here too. You do not need to spend the max$ for a decent bonefish 8-weight and I suggested three reasonably priced rods in the other thread (for those here they were Flying Pig, Rise Fly Fishing and ECHO3). Both the Sage ONE and the NEW Helios 2 #8's are terrific rods. I did not care for original Helios and I did fish for a week with both the 8 and 9-weights. I cast several of the H2's at Somerset and the one I was most impressed with (much superior to the two #5's) was the 8-weight tip-flex. This rod is powerful but manageable for any decent caster whereas, as I have opined before, the ONE is remarkable but demanding as would be the Sage hyper-technical TCX. If you could cast the H2 along side Sage Xi3 and perhaps G.Loomis NRX (my person favorite #8 flats specific rod) you would then be able to have an informed opinion as to which one suited you the best...these are the top-dollar but also top-performing 8-weights around (that I have personal familiarity with).