View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best Trout Rods ?

Then of course there are Tom Chandler's picks:

The Dozen Best Fly Rods of All Time

Of these, I've got the 9' 4 wt Loomis IMX, the 8' 6" 5 wt Winston WT, and the 8' 4 wt Winston Tom Morgan Favorite. (I've also got a couple of decent 9' 6 weights, but he kind of sleazed that one by not picking a specific model.)

He goofed by failing to mention the Orvis Far & Fine, I think. I have one of those too. Unlike the rest of you who brag about having an original early version, I believe mine is the last one Orvis ever sold. (At least from their regular production run. I understand they have made a few by custom order from leftover blanks since.) They located a lone survivor in one of their retail shops in England and shipped it back to me in the US. I had to pay customs duty.

He deliberately excluded models currently in production, apparently because there seems to be such a short product life cycle these days that you don't know whether today's best rods will still be on top tomorrow, but I think if current offerings were considered there would probably be something from the Orvis H2 and Hardy Zenith families on the list.