View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed 2??

Perhaps I have developed too harsh an attitude toward Waterworks products. As Moucheur points out it is not a feature unique to Waterworks and, further, I do not doubt the ability of any of my fellow contributors here to use their tackle most advantageously. I am also cognizant of the engineering concept that the less a circumference (of a reel arbor) changes, the more constant the drag setting remains. Additionally, as I have long been critical specifically of the Waterworks products' uniformly wide/shallow aspect ratio and explained way, I am confident that if you handed me your rod and reel I would manage to get the line back on acceptably as would most of you. If, however, a less experienced angler is asking advise, particularly in a bonefishing rather than trout stream context, I think it is highly relevant to make him aware of the potential for un-even line build up issues. To inquire if anyone other than S&S and Moucheur have experienced this need to pay extra attention to retrieving line intuitively and uniformly, let me illustrate this differently. Perhaps the most respected name in fly reels today is Abel. they have uniquely offered many of the Super Series reels in both moderately wide (but not shallow) spool dimensions and narrow ones too. Over the past couple of seasons they have been methodically and brilliantly reconfiguring the entire Super line up from little trout to tarpon/tuna size reels to be NARROW ONLY! And Waterworks too introduced their newest model, Speedster, to be larger in diameter and narrower in width as well. Hardy, which knows a thing or two about reel design makes a very specific point about their award winning U DD (&CC) that it features a NARROW spool width. Do I have it in for Waterworks or find their products unattractive or badly crafted...I do not, and I am not criticizing any one for liking them either. I am suggesting for someone in the market for a bonefish reel that there are better designed choices out there with superior proportions and larger surface area drag designs. While I am feeling contrite and defensive, I will further point out that many of the rods I consider ideal for my applications would looked askance upon my many other trout fishers for being to quick in recovery rate and thus lacking in deep flexing feel.