Thread: Why we do it
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why we do it

Quote:
peace and quiet
I can get that just being on the water. Some of the places I like to fish, are out of the way, and not even the bigger jon boats can get to them. Really doesn't matter if I'm using a fly rod or other tackle. In those places, I rarely see another angler, except for the Herons, Egrets & Ospreys.

I actually like the down & dirty fishing with flies. Some of you trout folks express thoughts of Utopia, which is fine if that's what you like. I developed an attitude a long time ago, that most anything I can do with other tackle, I can do with fly tackle, as long as it's of appropriate size. In my younger days I struggled with fly fishing for bass, because I didn't have the right equipment. I changed that!

I really like taking my 10 wt, and some big weedless flies & tossing them into some of the nastiest, snag infested waters I can get to in search of bass that may be there. I can do the same thing with a baitcaster, and still do, but where's the fun in not attempting something a bit more extreme. Most of the bass I've caught are average size, but there's a lot of satisfaction knowing I caught them with a fly rod, in places that might make an angler with a baitcaster cringe. That is my kind of fun! Solitude, quiet & peace are good too, but being alive means taking some chances!

I'm not going to be jumping out of airplanes or anything like that, so this is as extreme as I get!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!