Thread: Why we do it
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why we do it

Quote:
peace and quiet
I can get that just being on the water. Some of the places I like to fish, are out of the way, and not even the bigger jon boats can get to them. Really doesn't matter if I'm using a fly rod or other tackle. In those places, I rarely see another angler, except for the Herons, Egrets & Ospreys.

I actually like the down & dirty fishing with flies. Some of you trout folks express thoughts of Utopia, which is fine if that's what you like. I developed an attitude a long time ago, that most anything I can do with other tackle, I can do with fly tackle, as long as it's of appropriate size. In my younger days I struggled with fly fishing for bass, because I didn't have the right equipment. I changed that!

I really like taking my 10 wt, and some big weedless flies & tossing them into some of the nastiest, snag infested waters I can get to in search of bass that may be there. I can do the same thing with a baitcaster, and still do, but where's the fun in not attempting something a bit more extreme. Most of the bass I've caught are average size, but there's a lot of satisfaction knowing I caught them with a fly rod, in places that might make an angler with a baitcaster cringe. That is my kind of fun! Solitude, quiet & peace are good too, but being alive means taking some chances!

I'm not going to be jumping out of airplanes or anything like that, so this is as extreme as I get!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!