View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM

billygoat is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing the John Muir Trail in the High Sierra

I'm planning an extended through-hike of the John Muir Trail from late July through Mid August of this summer. I will be hiking from Yosemite to Lone Pine and will be covering about 211 miles of lakes and rivers, most of which will be between 8,000 feet and 11,000 feet (Lyell Creek, Marie Lake, Rae Lakes, Lake 10315, just to name a few). I've never fly fished in the Sierra before, and I've been doing some research on what works best up there. My main questions are these:

What is a good rod/reel combo? A guy at a local shop recommended the Scott A4 753-4 with an Aspen Reel RE-1035M, but that setup would put me back over $500, which is a lot more than I'd like to spend. I will be fishing lots of small rivers and streams as well as several big lakes. Most of the fish will be around 7-10", but they have some big 16"+ in the lakes, and honestly I will be fishing the lakes at least as much as the streams. Whatever I get, it needs to be a 4-piece and not weigh very much.

What flies should I bring? So far I have read that people use: Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Wulffs, Black Ants, Ralph Cutter EC Caddis, #18 Red Ant, #20 black midge, and Light Cahill. Would any of these be more likely to perform than the others? Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions? I also might bring a spincasting setup depending on how heavy my pack is, but right now I'm doing everything I can to reduce the weight. One rod for the entire trip would be ideal. Thanks in advance for the help.