View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing the John Muir Trail in the High Sierra

That's a great hike. Never done anything like your talking, but I've hiked from Tuolumne Meadows south a few times, and a few other sections.

I only fish streams, and most (all?) of those in that area are so small, it may be heresy, but I don't think it matters that much. Whatever #4 I had, I took, and never had any problems or wished for a different rod.

2 things.. the black bears can be very thick from TW until the climb over Donahue pass, and the worst mosquitoes I've ever encountered around Thousand Island Lake. They know they have a very short life span, and make the most of it. And the lake had a number of bears too.

Mosquitoes, Adams, elk hair caddis, maybe some small pheasant tail nymphs, small red copper johns and you're probably set. Ants and the Royals are probably good too - just never had them up there. And I don't thiunk real small matters, in the streams at least, never found them that picky.