View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trout Fishing in Indiana

Save yourself from glorified ditch fishing in the NWI tributaries and drive a few more hours into Michigan or Wisconsin.

The St Joe has quality smallmouth and steelhead, but it is a very large river. Some of the parks in downtown south bend offer wadeable water. It is a hard river to master on a day trip without a guide. The Dowagiac is a smaller tributary of the St Joe just to the north in Niles, Michigan and could be easier to fish.

I'd recommend heading a little further north into Michigan if you want a well rounded steelhead and native trout experience. If small trout streams are more your speed, head to southwest Wisconsin or northeast Iowa.

Indiana has some hidden gem smallmouth streams. I've never fished brookville for trout. My time is better spent elsewhere if pursuing a fun day of trout fishing. Brookville is too far south for me. There are too many quality streams within the same drive time in Wisconsin and Michigan.