Thread: Why we do it
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why we do it

Almost thirty years ago, I was fishing a really crappy, clunky spin rod, chucking worms in a small reservoir outside Boise. One of the few times my new wife went with me. There was a blizzard hatch and the fish-trout, 'gills, crappie- were thrashing all over the surface as the bugs came off the water, landed on us and shed leaving us covered in white sheds and me completely fish-less. That was the first time I realized I was going to have to learn to fly fish and be able to fish on top.
Later, I really came to appreciate the freedom of wading with rod and vest and not having to carry a tackle box and bait.
By then I had a lot of my local water pretty well dialed with spin gear and bait. My family was pretty tired of eating trout and smoked whitefish. It's tough to C&R with bait and I liked being able to release fish alive and swimming.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey