Thread: Why we do it
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 AM

JoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why we do it

Almost thirty years ago, I was fishing a really crappy, clunky spin rod, chucking worms in a small reservoir outside Boise. One of the few times my new wife went with me. There was a blizzard hatch and the fish-trout, 'gills, crappie- were thrashing all over the surface as the bugs came off the water, landed on us and shed leaving us covered in white sheds and me completely fish-less. That was the first time I realized I was going to have to learn to fly fish and be able to fish on top.
Later, I really came to appreciate the freedom of wading with rod and vest and not having to carry a tackle box and bait.
By then I had a lot of my local water pretty well dialed with spin gear and bait. My family was pretty tired of eating trout and smoked whitefish. It's tough to C&R with bait and I liked being able to release fish alive and swimming.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey