View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM

snook will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hacking my way through hyperbole

Thanks for the replies, mr.fzx and sweetandsalt. I've decided to roll the dice with my 7 wt Echo Ion overlined with Rio 8 line, which essentially renders that (heavy) rod an 8 wt. I may pick up an 8 wt if I find a good deal—thanks, sweet-salt, for the nudge. One interesting wrinkle: I've decided to add a short (7' 10") rod to the mix—a 6 wt Redington Predator, to be exact. This article I read was the final push I needed. As noted, most of my fishing is done down Everglades shorelines and I've long wanted a lighter weight outfit for that game. And I'm intrigued by the idea of battling it out with good-sized bones on a lighter-weight outfit. I believe most folks grossly overestimate the size of tackle needed for most species, and in the process they 1) struggle to place accurate casts when needed and 2) take the fun out of the scrap. Even a light rod—used the right way—can subdue a fairly large fish in short order. Here's proof. Oh, and I'm not as cavalier about not taking a heavy rod as I seem—my 9 wt St Croix, which has tamed a good-sized tarpon or two, will probably hitch a ride, as well. I'm told there's some good **** action on Andros and that the odd permit does make an appearance. Cannot wait.

Again, thanks for the replies. I'll let you know if I do well or if the Andros bonefish slap me around a bit. One can only hope.

Oh, and any further input on this topic by others is welcome and appreciated.