View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
The issue you have is the rod not the line. The Trout Boss is a true to size line. A Sage XP fishes (especially loading in close) better with an oversized line. The reason you can't feel it load in close is you have to have more of the line out to load that faster rod. They Sage XP's were cannons, but in close they needed to be over-lined to load up. A lot of the competitors lines and a few of our lines are either oversized or have short heads. Those lines perform better with an XP. I suspect the Cortland Western Drifter (1/2 size heavier ) would load that rod nicely, as would a Rio Grand or SA GPX.
I think Burk has nailed it, as in down tight. Out today and casting rod/line at longer distances and thing just flew, even with a heavy fly on the business end. Another post above had the grain info and it was a 'Sweet Jesus,' this thing is a 2hander line posted up as a one hander.

Line grain weight would match up with a 5 or 6 wt mid-belly 2hander.

Me thinks? Well ... on occasion.
fae