View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Competing with other sportspeople for carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Yeah those carp are a whole different animal, so to speak. I remember campaigns to try to stop them from entering the Great Lakes. Not sure where that is now, but what a total mess to have those carp spreading. From what I understand they are very tough to catch through normal fishing techniques.
I first purchased the property about 4 1/2 years ago, this next summer will be the fifth. After the initial purchase, I spent a few weeks fishing traditional methods, but constantly saw these 2-3 foot fish swimming past. At first I had no idea what they were.

After some investigation, I educated myself. I went out and purchased a bow mostly out of curiosity. The very first fish I shot, got me into a local area magazine, and also on the DNR's website. That pic still remains to this day.

Asian carp, really can not be targeted using traditional methods, They are filter feeders, and can only be harvested via bow / spear / and in IL, even pitchforks are legal. (this just shows how much our DNR supports there eradication). Anyways this is how I first got involved. Every single year since there seems to be more, and they also get larger.

Last edited by charged; 03-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.